Thursday, July 21, 2005

Why wait?

My aunt suffered a series of strokes over the last few days so I'm flying across the country tomorrow morning to be with her (I have to get up in 4 and 1/2 hours, but can't sleep. Arghhh!). This aunt never had children, but would have been a great mom. She found true love later in life after many tries. For her whole adult life she has struggled with a crippling disease but no one knows unless they are told. The women in my family are T-O-U-G-H. She's one of the toughest and lovingest, too.

For the past, I'm ashamed to say it, eight years, she has wanted me to come see her home. She and her hubby remodelled it and from all accounts it's spectacular. She knows I'd appreciate it more than most because in another life I've been an interior decorator or perhaps later in this one I will be. Who knows?

When informed of her health, my eyes welled with tears. Between money shortages, time shortages and just life, I hadn't visited her. It bugs the crap outta me that this is what it took for me to get my arse on a plane. The dream visit going to all the sites with her may never be a reality now. Please let me be wrong.

Well, I'm not waiting any longer. Good grief! How often do we wait and then it's a funeral? What a total waste. It won't matter to her one bit if the fam treks up to the funeral now will it?

CARPE DIEM

There will be no posts until Sunday the 24th. Link
More blogs about the woodlands rita.