Monday, July 04, 2005

Free in New Jersey

Perfect weather, burgers, beer and swimming in the pool with new friends: vacation has been perfect so far.

As a citizen of this great country, I didn't have to do the following:
  1. Register with the government to have a get together at someone's house.
  2. Notify my neighborhood association that we would be gone for a few days. (Although, the representative from our neighborhood does seem a little too concerned with our schedule.)
  3. Register when I crossed a state line.
  4. Fear for my life when I went to church.
  5. Fear for my life when I talked to someone about politics and TV production.

In short, I am Free. Free to congregate with whom I chose, free to express my views, free to go where I want, when I want.

When we walked past the soldiers prepared for their service at the airport, I cried. I'm grateful for them, for their sacrifice, their family's sacrifice and for the soldiers past and present who died so I could live this life.

Thank you to our country's founders and thank you to the people today who continue to serve. Happy July 4th!

More blogs about the woodlands rita.