Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Choosing A Belief Choosing A Life

Most of you know that my business is helping businesses work together better and achieve their goals more efficiently.

Dysfunctional work groups and teams, like dysfunctional marriages or any relationship don't "just happen." These lackluster groups are made up of people who are dysfunctional. In fact, one of my favorite posters from www.despair.com is called DYSFUNCTION: The Only Consistent Feature of All of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.

This is of course, a hard pill to swallow. Like the poll that asks people to rate themselves as drivers--most people say they are in the upper percentile of good drivers--we all think it is the other guy that stinks.

The problem with this philosophy is that we move responsibility to someone else which makes us helpless victims. "But I AM a victim!" we protest. "If you had to live with my boss, my husband, wife, co-worker, mother-in-law, etc.; you'd understand why!"

Is it any wonder we feel like we have been run over by life at the end of each day? We have removed from our ability the possibility of making anything better because it is someone else's fault. We are helpless and hopeless and we get depressed. We get angry. We blame. We dig in our heels. We become a pain in the ass to be around because we pass the you-know-what down hill.

Viktor Frankl in his book Man's Search For Meaning, he talks about how some people managed to be happy and content even in a concentration camp. This ability made him marvel. Read his book to discover his startling conclusions.

In the mean time, perhaps you could take some time to gently challenge your beliefs by asking yourself these questions: Can I be happy if I don't get what I want? Can I be happy even if people wrong me or wronged me?

Read Barry Kaufman's easy little red book called Happiness is a Choice and be prepared for a life change.

These two very interesting short reads would be a great addition to your summer vacation reading list.
More blogs about the woodlands rita.