Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Survival Kits

Ok, we have all been warned. Every place in America possesses inherent beauty and inherent risks. I joked at my old house that my VERY prepared next door neighbor would have to save my butt. She seriously responded, "We will do what we can."

No more joking. Time to get serious about this. My first order of business? THIS.

My second will be putting some basics together. This kind of thing is like writing a will and talking about powers-of-attorney: yucky stuff no one wants to deal with.

My list:
  • A generator.
  • A gun.
  • A hand crank radio.
  • Water purifcation methods.
  • Back up propane for grill.
  • New grill with burner.
  • Batteries (had these and all went dead).
  • Inflatable raft for a family of six.
  • A communication system--walkie-talkies for family members.
  • Cell phone car charger.
  • Rope.
  • Duct Tape.
  • Antibiotics.
  • Pain killers.
  • Needle and thread--for stitches.
  • Propane lamp.
  • Lots of canned goods stored on second floor.
  • Lots of water stored on second floor.
  • Evacuation plan for house.
  • Evacuation plan for city.
  • Pictures backed up on discs and put with important papers.
More blogs about the woodlands rita.